Getting into more advanced ideas and introducing deeper thinking about the Principles, Movement and overlaps between techniques. And working in fading light, the dark safely, together with how to maximise your safety when sight isn’t good.
Good solid work, good thinking and adapting to an unstable environment.
Warmup: loosening & stretching – shoulders, arms, back, waist, legs ; large swinging movements with cudgel to stretch out shoulders & arms – walking blocks ; moving round area & through obstacles with different blocks ; going through the guards
- Moving around the outdoor area through the trees/bushes and noting which guards are best for protecting the head/face in close vs.branches, etc
- English Bill intro & getting used to moving the weapon
- Bill technique 01 – needing to wide-space the opponents bill & breaking down the pull after hooking the St.George guard
- Mechanics of thrusting and hooking with the bill
- Body mechanics of the hooks & particularly the pull afterwards, and the difference between ‘physical/strength’ pulling and ‘MDM & grounding’
[with practice vs.trees and vertical held bill shaft supported by person, etc]
- Introducing looking at the techs/movement & principles with a analysing eye – ‘core’ principles
- engaging targets & understanding the environment – pushing, pulling, re-angling to feel any obstacles, and understanding what this means, physically and mentally
- using the tree/branch with the Bills – delving further into the idea of physical awareness, particularly in the dark and with obstacles, using the extended guard to engage an obstacle and Hanging Guard to protect, and move under safely
- Thinking about what a movement involves, how it affects your balance, power generation, etc
- Moving back when throwing an attack robs the attack of power
- Learning tools to understand techniques and movement and getting used self-checking in relation to the above